â–º Listen Live
HomeNewsNew Student Trustee Named by Renfrew County School Board

New Student Trustee Named by Renfrew County School Board

- Advertisement -

The new school year brings fresh faces to schools across the County and a fresh face to the School Board as well.

11th grader Sam Abbott was added to the Renfrew County District School Board after being voted in by other students. He took his declaration of oath of office last month. This is the second year that this program has been done by the School Board.

Johnathon Laderoute, Communications Manager with the Renfrew County District School Board, says the process to decide the new trustee starts in the Spring. Students from across the district meet at the board office to decide the new trustee. Students that put their name forward for nomination are given five minutes to make a presentation and then the voting process begins.

Abbott joins Sean McCloskey as representatives on the School Board. Laderoute says they will both work together to communicate to the board issues and interests for students. It will also be great, Laderoute says, for the board as they have a direct line to the students.

- Advertisement -

Laderoute says Abbott will have the opportunity to present the board at their monthly meetings. When he can, Abbott will also go to other schools throughout the district and meet with students. He stresses though that schoolwork will be the priority for Abbott. “You can’t be a student trustee without being a student,” Laderoute says.

Laderoute says this role is one based in communication. It gives students the opportunity to talk directly to the board and the board the opportunity to talk directly to the students.

- Advertisement -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisement -

Continue Reading