Listen Live
HomeNewsWaska Welcome events to help students learn more about newly-merged school 

Waska Welcome events to help students learn more about newly-merged school 

- Advertisement -

Events are coming up to allow students and families to learn more about the Barry’s Bay school that’s going through a change.  

That school, for now, is Madawaska Valley District High School-Sherwood Public School, but a process to change the name is underway, as the high school and elementary school have recently merged.  

The events are on Thursday, Nov. 30. Students in Grades 7 and 8 at feeder schools are invited to the Waska Way building where they can explore the school and participate in activities, from 10:30 a.m. to 1:15 p.m. 

Then, at 5 p.m., the school is hosting its Waska Welcome. Families interested in programs from Junior Kindergarten to Grade 12, can come out and learn more. Details on the school’s recently added French Immersion program will be shared.  

- Advertisement -

Principal Jennifer Schooley says the transition to one school has gone well and the community has learned there are benefits of having all students under one administration. It’s giving elementary students more gym and outdoor space; and giving high school students easy access to the elementary wing for co-op placements.  

“We’ve had assemblies together; our Remembrance Day ceremony was together, so that was really nice,” Schooley says. “It’s good for our high school students to see our younger students and have that patience and to have that smile on their face when they see younger students.” 

The evening event includes a spaghetti dinner. Those interested in attending are asked to contact the school to RSVP.  

- Advertisement -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisement -

Continue Reading