Listen Live
HomeNewsMinor fire in Barry’s Bay shows importance of smoke alarms, says Fire...

Minor fire in Barry’s Bay shows importance of smoke alarms, says Fire Chief

- Advertisement -

Madawaska Valley Fire Chief Corwin Quade says if there had been no working fire alarms in a recent fire in Barry’s Bay, it could have been much worse.

On March 8th, Quade says the fire department responded to a call at Hannah’s Diner just after 11 PM. They arrived to find a plastic box with linens on fire. The fire fighters removed the box from the business and extinguished it, with minimal damage done to the building.

Quade credits those in the basement apartment for quickly calling 911 after hearing smoke alarms. He says the fire could have been much different if the fire alarms were not working. The department has deemed the fire accidental.

With the time change this week, Quade is taking the opportunity to urge people to change the batteries in their smoke and carbon monoxide alarms. He also reminds people to clean the lint trap in their drier after every use.

- Advertisement -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -

Continue Reading