Blue-Green Algae Found in Lake Dore
Blue-Green Algae (Photo Credit: University of Alberta)
The Renfrew County District Health Unit says that it has found blue-green algae in Lake Dore
The unit and the Ministry of Environment, Conservation and Parks collected the sample on July 2nd and confirmed that the algae was toxic on July 7th. Blue Green Algae is toxic, can cause skin irritation, and may result in vomiting, nausea, diarrhoea and abdominal pain if ingested. The RCDHU recommends anyone using Lake Dore or the attributing waterways, be on the lookout for algae blooms.
The Unit says to avoid direct contact with the bloom, and avoid using the water around the bloom for drinking, bathing, showering. They also say to not allow children, pets or livestock to drink or swim in the water. The unit says boiling the water will not help because it may release more toxins into the water, and any food cooked in the contaminated water could absorb the toxins. The unit adds that toxins released by the algae are not removed by small scale treatment systems like filtration found in residential buildings. They also say to exercise caution when eating fish caught in the water where blooms have occurred, as the toxins can be absorbed by the liver, kidneys and other organs. The unit says those who use the lake for drinking water should look for alternate sources
The RCDHU says it will continue to monitor water conditions on Lake Dore. To date they say there are no other known blooms in the district. If you suspect you have come across a blue-green algae bloom, call the Ministry of Parks, Environment and Conservation at 1-800-268-6060.