Madawaska Valley Fire Department Douses Year’s First Bush Fire
Madawaska Valley fire truck (Photo credit: Matt Latour - Moose FM)
Madawaska Valley Fire Department was called to its first bush fire of 2019.
The department received a call on Saturday June 22nd around 7 PM to a fire on Old Barry’s Bay Road. Both halls responded using 4 trucks and 14 fire fighters. The blaze was contained in 30 minutes and claimed just under a half-acre of grass and brush. The person responsible for the fire had doused it after he had burned materials in the morning. However, the fire was not entirely doused and began smoldering throughout the day. A gust of wind re-lit the flame and begun the fire.
Madawaska Valley Fire Department reminds the public to drown fires completely and never leave it unattended. They also remind the public that a permit is needed if you wish to burn, must be lit no earlier than two hours before sunset, and must be put out 2 hours after sunrise. This does not include camp fires. They also say that burn barrels and burning household garbage is illegal and that charges may be laid if caught operating either.