OSPCA Making Historical Change
The OSPCA have decided that they want to ride in the backseat when it comes to enforcing legislation on animal cruelty.
Daryl Vaillancourt, Chief of Humane Programs and Community Outreach for the OSPCA says that as of April 1st, after 100 years, the charity will not be enforcing the Province’s animal welfare legislation.
He says that they’ve been restructuring their business model since late 2017 and decided that it was best for the organization and the animals that they focus their efforts on other programs. “Only 20% of our efforts are related to investigations, the other 80% is on sheltering and spay and neutering programs and others. We do a lot to make sure animals have a better life and we want to put 100% into that” Vaillancourt said.
Historically, this is a big deal. Vaillancourt says that the OSPCA Act has been in place since 1919 and he says that a lot has changed in 100 years.
The OSPCA did offer the Provincial Government a 3-month transitional phase (until the end of June) but adds that if the offer is accepted, no matter what happens, when the end of June rolls around, the Government will need to have found a new phone number to dial when it comes to animal cruelty investigations.