â–º Listen Live
HomeNewsMVDHS Students Are Doing Their Part

MVDHS Students Are Doing Their Part

- Advertisement -

Madawaska Valley District High School students are giving back.

Throughout the holiday season, students have been working hard to make sure everyone in the community has what they need for the holidays.

Julia Beggs and Emma Klawitter, who are both students at MVDHS, spoke on behalf of the MV Student Activity Council when they announced that their annual turkey dinner raised over $350 for the Madawaska Valley Food Bank. The event, held on December 7th, had the MV Student Council leaders with student volunteers prepare the tables, host the guests and serve many hungry people.

Beggs, member of the Senior Leadership class, also mentioned that they were currently doing a Christmas card fundraiser where half of the profits would be donated to the Bernadette McCann House in Pembroke. When asked about how they chose their causes, Klawitter, Student Council Media Relations said it usually comes down to a vote within the MV Student Activity Council.

- Advertisement -

Both girls emphasized that MVDHS is a big part of the community and that it was important for them to forge relationships with Valley residents and local organizations.

They add that the MV Student Activity Council organizes multiple events during the year such as the upcoming Winterfest. This is a day where many activities for students take place throughout the day including a broom ball tournament, a yoga class, cooking and baking, movie screenings and singing. Winterfest isn’t free though, as Beggs says, it costs students a non-perishable food item which they then donate to the food bank. Winterfest is scheduled to take place on Friday December 21st. Should buses be cancelled due to poor weather conditions, Principal Dean Zadow says they will postpone it to another day in the near future.

As for the rest of the school year, the MV Student Activity Council is planning a trivia night and a movie night. All of which will see proceeds going to help local causes.

- Advertisement -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisement -

Continue Reading